Thursday, September 14, 2017

Revisitng Reddit

After making Reddit the central topic for my first blog post, I had never thought that I once again be discussing this website on the same platform. However, this time around, I want to focus more on what was covered in “The Culture of Reddit”, a video which shares several of Reddit’s user-based communities, as well as the impacts, both good and bad, that have occurred as a result of their existence. A number of these smaller communities (subreddits) have been able to come together to positively impact the lives of fellow users, such as delivering pizzas to those in poverty or, as mentioned in the article we were assigned to read, making an active effort to talk others out of suicidal thoughts and actions. Though this occur within individual communities, Reddit has been able to come together as a whole to make collective efforts for the greater good, such as sparking a protest against bills threatening to bring limitations to the internet. Unfortunately, this website, being comprised of varying communities, has had its fair number of toxic users that go against the good that the website can actually produce. Though this fact definitely puts a blemish on the website’s reputation, it just happens to be one of the consequences that arises from offering all users the freedom to openly contribute.

By No single author (www.reddit.com/r/place) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Shown above is personally one of my favorite examples of reddit collaborating as one large community; here, each user was able to freely contribute to a blank canvas, resulting in this being produced during the span of just a few days time.

2 comments:

  1. I’ve heard of Reddit, but have never been on it before and I think the sexism and women hating is what stopped me from going on there. They talked about it in the video and thought “ok, so that really does happen on there!”, but they also talked about the pizza deliveries and a lot of other positive topics and threads that happen on there. The site seems hectic to me and easy to get lost in just looking around, that’s what I thought of with the picture you posted. They have so much information on there and they can literally talk about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you see all sides to the topic at hand. It's true, websites usually aren't made with bad intentions, but it's the amount of people with bad intentions on said website that give it a bad reputation. There are plenty of positive subreddits, I've seen them from my friends, but there's almost just as many negative subreddits or posts in subreddits. It sucks, but that's the reality of it. At least Reddit blocks users from certain posts/censors certain posts from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons Going into this class, I would’ve never expected to have come out liking it as much as I do now. To...