Friday, October 27, 2017

Our Ever-Advancing A.I.


Last week’s reading discussed how, in recent history, humans have been able to create what is known as artificial intelligence, or A.I. for short, through the implementation of various algorithms. These algorithms are made up of several intricate instructions that much of our modern-day technology is built with the intention of following. However, as said algorithms begin to grow in their capabilities and overall complexity, more and more people have begun to fear the potential outcomes that could arise from this ever-advancing artificial intelligence. Even renowned scientific figures such as Stephen Hawking have become weary of A.I. advancements that are expected to come in the near future. As their limitations become increasingly refined, many are left wondering how soon we can expect to see A.I.s that exceed the capabilities of their human creators. We have already witnessed basic machinery replacing a multitude of jobs previously undergone by humans; therefore, it is not too unreasonable to fear that the same might happen, but to a greater extent.

Source: Flickr
By Global Panorama

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was really interesting that you brought up that it is possible that one day artificial intelligence may exceed human capabilities. It is an interesting concept, as humans are the ones programming those A.I. robots. The technology using A.I. can only follow algorithms set by us, but the fact is that those algorithms are more commonly letting them learn and adapt to the world around them. It will be interesting to see if artificial intelligence will be able to outgrow human capabilities and intelligence within our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very convincing when you compared A.I. and current day machinery together. Machines have sped up our ability to produce products, but they have taken hundreds of thousands of jobs, if not more. A.I.s are supposed to be even more capable then what we have today, so I would only imagine that we would be running out of jobs to hand out to humans. Overall great post, I just really liked that comparison you made.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons Going into this class, I would’ve never expected to have come out liking it as much as I do now. To...