Thursday, November 16, 2017

My First Wikipedia Edit


Last week, I was able to contribute to a Wikipedia page for the first time through one of our in-class assignments. The particular page that my group and I contributed to was Teenage Suicide in the United States. Like the rest of the class, our edits consisted of approximately 500 words worth of information that was relevant to the article’s topic. Our added content was comprised of statistics and general information that was not previously stated within the article prior to our edit. Though I felt that our work was competent enough in terms of what we included and how we structured it, I was still sure that it was going to be removed, as I was under the impression that Wikipedia was fairly strict towards their articles’ content. This is due to me having witnessed pages get completely removed in the past, despite consistent efforts made by multiple users who attempted to keep the information accurate, cited, and professionally written. Because of this, I had little to no hope that our edits would remain intact, especially due to the heavy subject matter that’s inherent to the article’s topic. However, much to my surprise, I found that the information is still up and mostly unchanged, with only a few minor edits made to improve upon our structure. I’m honestly not sure what made our case different from the others that I’ve seen, but it’s at least nice to know that our work was found suitable and can be used to potentially inform future readers.
By English: Redrawn in SVG by Otourly (concept by Paullusmagnus) Deutsch: Nachgezeichnet als Vektorgrafik von Otourly (Konezpt von Paullusmagnus). (Original image Image:Wikipedia-logo.png) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan this was a great blog post and I wanted to just point out how cool I thought it was that our information stayed on the page and can be used by others in the future. The page was sorely lacking in info prior to our group posting so I think we did some good on Wikipedia this past week!

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons Going into this class, I would’ve never expected to have come out liking it as much as I do now. To...